Click to Home Bishop's House Priest Search Publications Religious Article About Us



BL.MOTHER TERESA CHURCH - KAIRADY



The Mother Teresa church at Kairady, near Nemmara in Palakkad District, is claimed to be the ‘First Church in the World’ Dedicated to Blessed ‘Teresa of Calcutta’ set up with permission from the Pope of Vatican. The Church was Blessed and Dedicated to Mother Teresa on October 19, 2003, the day the Mother was elevated as Blessed by the Pope.

This unique Church carved out of a huge Single Rock Formation is also a Symbol of Communal Harmony, as it is run by people belonging to all Religions in Kairady, a sleepy village 40 km from Palakkad Town. Land for the construction of the Church was partially donated by Muslim and Hindu Local Residents. The Church will celebrate its Third Anniversary on January 29, 2006 At the side alter of this church there is "VERAS RELIQUIAS SANGUINE, TERESIAE A CALCUTTA", for the public veneration. By this time 21 miracles happend in this church though the intercession of BL.Mother Teresa.

The local Parish was given the permission to construct the Church by the Palakkad Bishop in 2002. It received the approval of the Pope from Vatican as a Church on May 20, 2003.Though there are only 52 Christian families under this Church , People from other communities also offer prayers at the Church. Poor farmers and Rubber tappers of this Village have joined hands to make the Church a Symbol of Communal Harmony.

The Church is carved out of a Single Rock. The Altar of the church is also made of a single stone weighing 3.5 tonnes. The Church follows the Indian culture and has the Holy Lamps Lighted with Oil. The Baptism Pond is also made of a Single Stone. The Tabernacle to keep the Blessed Sacrament the Holy Communion is also made by drilling the huge Rock.

Mar. Jacob Manathodath Bishop of Palakkad laid the foundation stone on April 26, 2003 They started the beginning process of the church on May 25,2003. This church was built in 147 Days. This church is called as “Parapally” Mar. Jacob Manathodath Bishop of Palakkad was Blessed Church on October 10,2003 and started Holy Mass. Mar. Jacob Manathodath Appointed FR. Jos Kannampuzha as the first Vicar of this church.
DST(Doughter’s of St.Thomas) Sisters are planning to start a Renovation Centre for Mentally Retraded and unwanted People. Sisters are planning to give Accommodation, Treatment and Education for these type people. DST Convent is a part of Mother Teresa Church in Kairady. DST Sisters Follows the Foot feet of Bl.Mother Teresa. DST Sister Dedicated their life for Mentally Retraded People. They give Compassion to Old age People and take care of these people.

FR.Jos Kannampuzha.M.A,Who is a well know retreat preacher & Social worker, is the founder of this church

Your Prayers,Request and Offerings to send through E_mail vicarparappally@yahoomail.co.in

Official Website : www.motherteresachurchkairady.org



Contact Address
BL.MOTHER TERESA CHURCH
KAIRADY(PO)
PALAKKAD - 678510.
KERALA , INDIA.
Phone No : 04923 - 245236.
Mob No : 09447249688.
E-Mail ID : vicarparappally@yahoomail.co.in
Website : www.motherteresachurchkairady.org




Aug 27, 1910 - Sep 5, 1997
Maiden name: Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu
Place of Birth: Skopje, Yugoslavia (what is now Macedonia)
Residence: Calcutta, India



Mother Teresa was born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu in Skopje*, Macedonia, on August 27, 1910. Her family was of Albanian descent. At the age of twelve, she felt strongly the call of God. She knew she had to be a missionary to spread the love of Christ. At the age of eighteen she left her parental home in Skopje and joined the Sisters of Loreto, an Irish community of nuns with missions in India. After a few months' training in Dublin she was sent to India, where on May 24, 1931, she took her initial vows as a nun. From 1931 to 1948 Mother Teresa taught at St.Mary's High School in Calcutta, but the suffering and poverty she glimpsed outside the convent walls made such a deep impression on her that in 1948 she received permission from her superiors to leave the convent school and devote herself to working among the poorest of the poor in the slums of Calcutta. Although she had no funds, she depended on Divine Providence, and started an open-air school for slum children. Soon she was joined by voluntary helpers, and financial support was also forthcoming. This made it possible for her to extend the scope of her work.

On October 7, 1950, Mother Teresa received permission from the Holy See to start her own order, "The Missionaries of Charity", whose primary task was to love and care for those persons nobody was prepared to look after. In 1965 the Society became an International Religious Family by a decree of Pope Paul VI.

Today the order comprises Active and Contemplative branches of Sisters and Brothers in many countries. In 1963 both the Contemplative branch of the Sisters and the Active branch of the Brothers was founded. In 1979 the Contemplative branch of the Brothers was added, and in 1984 the Priest branch was established.

The Society of Missionaries has spread all over the world, including the former Soviet Union and Eastern European countries. They provide effective help to the poorest of the poor in a number of countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, and they undertake relief work in the wake of natural catastrophes such as floods, epidemics, and famine, and for refugees. The order also has houses in North America, Europe and Australia, where they take care of the shut-ins, alcoholics, homeless, and AIDS sufferers.

The Missionaries of Charity throughout the world are aided and assisted by Co-Workers who became an official International Association on March 29, 1969. By the 1990s there were over one million Co-Workers in more than 40 countries. Along with the Co-Workers, the lay Missionaries of Charity try to follow Mother Teresa's spirit and charism in their families.

Mother Teresa's work has been recognised and acclaimed throughout the world and she has received a number of awards and distinctions, including the Pope John XXIII Peace Prize (1971) and the Nehru Prize for her promotion of international peace and understanding (1972). She also received the Balzan Prize (1979) and the Templeton and Magsaysay awards.

Biographical Highlights:

1928 - went to India and taught at a convent school in Calcutta
1937 - took her final vows
1948 - left the convent to work alone in the slums; received some medical training in Paris
1950 - the Missionaries of Charity (Mother Teresea's sisterhood) started
1952 - House for the Dying opened
1957 - the Missionaries of Charity started work with lepers and in many disaster areas of the world
1971 - awarded the Pope John XXIII Peace Prize
1979 - awarded Nobel Peace Prize


Google
  Web http://www.churchesinindia.com